Apr 19, 2013

The summer heat

During the last days of March and April until today, the heat of summer is unbearable. It is extremely hot in the Philippines, but this time, the temperature is way off the scale.

Based on what I read on how guinea pigs prefer temperatures that range from 18 - 24 degrees Celsius based on http://www.guineapigs.com/location.html, I was getting worried for my cavies.

After arriving home after a short vacation, I observed that one of my cavies, Pogi, has a wet mouth and chin. Initially, I though Pogi just got his mouth wet after drinking in their water bowl, since the water bottle is not functioning. 

I decided to research on what this condition might indicate. I found out that Pogi is suffering from one of the signs of heat stroke. Here are the signs of heat stroke:

  • Limp body in which the guinea pig lies on his side and lazy to move around
  • Slobbers or wet chin
  • Rapid pulse rate
  • Breathing that is labored
  • Guinea pig feels hot when touched, especially the ears
I followed some of the measures to do in case one of the heat stroke signs are seen from http://www.guineapigwelfare.org.uk/guinea-pig-care/seasonal/summer/in-the-heat-of-the-moment/

Since the cage is inside the house, I decided to position it outside since the weather is truly unbearable. The cage of the cavies were positioned in our balcony where it is cool most of the time. After the cooling measures were performed on Pogi, after a day, his wet chin is no longer evident. The best part is that Pogi is starting to become more active and gaining more appetite. 

Luckily, the sign of heat stroke was instantly remedied. I am now happy that Pogi is back in his normal state. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment