Apr 6, 2013

The Quest for Hay and Guinea Pig Pellets

As what I have read on the diet of guinea pigs on different online sources, they require hay, vegetables and good quality pellets. The problem I initially faced was the lack of hay and guinea pig pellets in our local pet stores. Of course, these are offered in the major cities here in the Philippines, but in our area there is no hay or pellets ideally for cavies  in the pet stores.

I initially provided my cavies with fresh grass from our garden. My cavies seem to know that their meal is coming, due to their wheeking sound. I also include about a cup of vegetables such as romaine lettuce, sweet potato leaves and red pepper two times a day. If available, I also include parsley, celery and broccoli.

When it comes to pellets, I had a hard time looking in our local pet stores, thus I decided to order online at  http://multiply.com/gingersweethouse. Luckily, the online store also offers packaged hay - timothy and alfalfa. There are also other guinea pig products that I might buy in the future. The online store is a good source of guinea pig products that cavy owners can check out.  Here are the products that i ordered:



VERSELE-LAGA CAVIA CRISPY 1KG

When this was initially given to our cavies, they started to try it out and later on loved munching on their new food.
TIMOTHY HAY & HERBS EDIBLE TUNNEL
Now that my cavies have a steady supply of hay, their diet will be complete. Additionally, they love to play and hide in the edible tunnel.

Our cavies loved the pellets and the hay. I am now assured that my cavies will enjoy a complete diet from now on.

1 comment: